Sunday, April 15, 2018

Another fine mesu


A dentist's chair in Seoul, South Korea, is probably the last place I'd expect to find the influence of Dutch on other languages, but that's precisely where I discovered that even in Korean there are words that can be traced back to Dutch. As the dentist prepared to work on my teeth, he asked his colleague for a mesu (메스 in hangeul), i.e. a scalpel. This word, it turns out, had made the journey across the sea from Japan, where mesuメス, also means scalpel or surgeon's knife. This, in turn, is a loanword from Dutch, introduced into Japanese as a result of language contact during the Tokugawa period (1603-1868), for much of which the Dutch were the only Europeans allowed to enter the country.


Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania scalpel image

3 comments:

  1. We are independent company Offering Loan at a cheapest interest(2%). We guarantee any kind of Loan, Government finance Project and Investor Project. etc If you are interested Kindly get back to me for more information via Email: collinsguzmanfundings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. #I am so happy investing with Carlos E Trading Signal.. He has really helped after I lost my job. I started investing as little as $200 and now I earn over $2,500 weekly. So happy you can contact him on his Email: carlose78910@gmail.com
    Via whatsapp: (+12166263236)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello everyone, Am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    and consider all your financial problems tackled and solved. Share this to help a soul right now. THANKS

    ReplyDelete